It’s that time of year where everything you see seems to be ‘red’ or ‘heart shaped’ or made from chocolate, so why not try and combine all three with these delicious Red Velvet Pancakes?
Makes: approx. 12 pancakes
- 150grams plain flour
- 1tablespoon best cocoa powder
- ½teaspoon baking powder
- ½teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1pinch of salt
- 150ml buttermilk or runny plain yogurt
- 1large egg
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- red food colouring
- raspberriesto serve
- creme fraicheto serve
- grated dark chocolate to serve
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour,cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarb, sugar and the pinch of salt. Now, in a measuring jug, whisk together the buttermilk or plain yogurt, egg, vegetable oil, vanilla and red food colouring.
- Whisk the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a thick batter and set to one side while you get out a smooth griddle or non-stick frying pan and warm it on the stove, wiping it with a little vegetable oil first. Add small ladlefuls of the batter onto the griddle and when bubbles start appearing on the surface, after a minute or two, it means the pancakes are ready to turn. They’ll probably need just under a minute on the second side, but it depends on how hot the griddle is, so check as you go.
- Serve with some fresh raspberries and a dollop or two of crème fraiche on top of which you have grated some dark chocolate.
With thanks to www.nigella.com for the recipe.