Today being October 1st and thus the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness month. It is also World Vegetarian day so here is a recipe made with broccoli – research has shown that Sulforaphane—a compound in broccoli—could reduce the number of breast cancer stem cells (which cause cancer spread and recurrence), all hail the mighty broccoli.
- 3 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil
- 6 spring onions (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 kilogram frozen broccoli
- 1250 ml hot vegetable stock (from concentrate or cube)
- 200 grams crumbled or chopped stilton cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 long fresh red chilli pepper (deseeded & finely chopped (optional))
- Put the garlic oil in a large pan over a medium heat, add the chopped spring onionsand cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the thyme and the frozen broccoli, and stir in the heat for a minute or so.
- Add the hot vegetable stock and the crumbled or chopped Stilton and bring to a bubble, then clamp on the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Liquidize in a blender (or failing that a processor) – in batches – then pour back in the pan and heat if it’s cooled too much while blending, and add pepper to taste
- Scatter with a confetti of red chilli dice on serving, if you feel like it.
(Additional info – for gluten free check that the stock cube or concentrate is one of the gluten free brands)
With thanks to www.nigella.com for the recipe.