Ooh it’s Wimbledon… and Tennis and Strawberries are such a natural marriage, so why not put together some strawberry shortbread to munch whilst cheering on Andy Murray!
- 110 g caster sugar
- 225 g salted butter
- 225 g plain flour
- 150 g cornflour
- 50 g strawberries, sliced
- 500 ml double cream, lightly whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
2. Place the caster sugar and butter in a food processor. Process until creamed together.
3. Add the plain flour and corn flour and blend briefly.
4. Tip the mixture out onto a lightly floured working surface and bring it together into a dough.
5. Flatten out the dough and roll it out.
6. Cut it into 10cm rounds and place them on a baking sheet. Prick them and dredge with caster sugar.
7. Bake the shortbread for 50-60 minutes until set, taking care not to let them darken. Cool on a wire rack.
8. To serve, take a shortbread round, top with a dollop of whipped cream, followed by some strawberrries then sandwich with another shortbread.
9. Repeat the process until all the shortbread rounds have been used up.
With thanks to www.uktv.co.uk for Janet Brinkworth’s delicious recipe.