Happy Blueberry Pie day – 28th April, 2014…
- 450g/1lb ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- 25g/1oz butter, plus extra for greasing the moulds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 700g/25oz blueberries
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
- clotted cream, to serve
- Butter a 22cm/9in ovenproof dish.
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a floured work surface using a rolling pin. With a pastry cutter, cut out a large circle of pastry to line the buttered dish. Transfer to the fridge to chill.
- Place the sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest into a bowl.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat. Add the blueberries, the butter and the cinnamon (if using) and stew for 3-4 minutes before removing from the heat to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Fill the pie dish with the cooled blueberry mixture.
- Roll out the remaining pastry on a floured work surface and cut out a disc a little bigger than the pie dish. Place the pastry on top of the pie dish and seal the edges well. Make a small hole in the top to allow the steam to escape.
- Make decorations (such as leaves) by cutting out any pastry trimmings with a sharp knife and stick them on with a little water. Brush the pastry lids with a little lightly beaten egg then dredge with caster sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the fruit is tender and the top is golden-brown. Serve hot with clotted cream.